Friday, March 21, 2008

Typical White person

Rachael Lucas has a great comment here on Obama's statement. http://rachellucas.com/index.php/2008/03/21/cant-we-all-just-get-along/

Here's my thing, I'm not too angry with Obama, for his statement. (I'm still far more angry about painting Grandma as a racist)


I just find the whole race discussion annoying because it's a one way conversation that includes some blacks telling us what we think and feel. I know racism still exists. I'm not dumb, I know there are still disparities. (Not an idiot)

But Obama, I'm not afraid of black men, whom I pass on the street. Now, I do get nervous if it's really dark and some strange guy I don't know starts bothering me. But I'm sorry, I'm a woman, and I have no way of defending myself. I wonder if Obama even knows what it means to be a woman. But guess what white men scare me in this regard. It's dark outside, and it's late. No one is around. Guess what? That's really not a way to approach a girl guys.

I also get nervous if I'm in a really bad neighborhood. Oh, then I'm jumpy. But passing a black man in broad day light in a normal neighborhood. Scary? Nope. Passing a black man at night at a gas station or at the store. Nope. Sorry, not scared. I live in a suburb two blocks away from a major city. If the sight of a mere black man scared me, I'd be sitting in my house, locked in a room all day. And I've never gotten the idea that my 81 year old Grandma was scared of black men either.

But here' s what I'm sick of. I'm tired of being called racist. Really, sick and tired of it. I hear it all the time from blacks. And they are all from people who don't know me. But somehow they think that they can somewhat read my mind.

I work as a substitute teacher right now for Inner city schools. And I can't tell you how many times, I've had the pleasure of hearing black children tell me that I'm racist. You see, the white teacher, telling you to sit down and do your work. Saying, that she doesn't want you to run around the classroom. Well that's just because she's racist. She's not angry at our behavior. Oh, no she's just racist.

Please don't get me wrong, there are wonderful black children out there. Lovely kids. And most of the kids have not said things like that to me. But I've gotten enough times, and it's never punished. I can't imagine the hooploah that would happen if a White Child told the black teacher that "Black people shouldn't watch white kids." (Yes, I got the reverse)

There's another time I was helping a customer. And I was misunderstanding what he said, not because his English was bad, but just because he wasn't being clear with what he wanted. I thought he was talking about hot foods, and whether there would be hot foods on a specific holiday. I was trying to say no, but if you want to preorder, you can preorder. He was talking about the deli food....Please understand though the words he used made it sound like he was talking about the stuff we cook. Whenever the store was open, the deli food was alwasy available.

Honestly, I wasn't angry or frustrated that there was miscommunication. I was thinking we'd fix it and figure it out. No big deal. Then the guy called me a racist? Literally and went to the black person next t him, and called me a racist. And the guy gave me this look. I don't think I've ever been so angry.

I'm tired of it. I was raised that racism was wrong. And I do my best to judge people by their characters. And I think I deserve the same benefit of the doubt. And the more times this happens to me, the more times I get angry. And honestly, That's why I'm angry with Wright because he was literally from the pulpit teaching children that whites are racist.
'
Ameri KKKa. It's sick and it's got to stop. And honestly that angers me far more than any of the grievances Obama talked about in his little speech. Far more. I understand the need for affirmative action. I get that there are inequalities that need to be fixed. But I think if we are going to heal this country. Rev Wright's words can't be condoned either.

I didn't start slavery, I didn't cause segregation. I get why you are angry about these things. But I'm not responsible. I know they are wrong, and I'm really sad that it happened. But I'm not okay with you prejudging me because I'm white. I didn't choose to be white. God just made me that way.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Good stuff. Wanted you to know that I linked to your article.